Protein Rich Plasma (PRP) For Facial Rejuvenation
Do you have unexpected fine lines, creases or wrinkles creeping up as you get older? Sure… most everyone notices a few visible signs of aging, especially on their faces. Laugh and smile lines, the forehead, brow line, under the eyes or around them, as well as your eyelids tend to lose elasticity, making them more susceptible to aging. This happens because of a breakdown of the tissue, which takes away from the fullness of your skin’s natural beauty.
For some who wish to correct this issue, Dr. Humberto Palladino of Southwest Plastic Surgery in El Paso, TX uses a process called Protein Rich Plasma. PRP is blood plasma from a person’s own body, which has been enriched with platelets. These plasma cells are activated with cytokines and multiple growth factors, which have a natural healing ability. Although they are useful for many healing aspects, from hair regrowth or wound healing; to cosmetic surgery, one of the most popular uses for PRP is in the form of facial rejuvenation. PRP has proven to be a useful filler, so when applied to the face through tiny injections, they literally “fill in” the wrinkles so they are barely noticeable.
Sometimes, PRP is used in conjunction with other facial fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm; as well as fat grafting procedures. Within the cosmetic industry, you may find urban terms for PRP, like the Vampire Lift, Vampire Facelift or Vampire Facial Filler. All of these terms describe the rejuvenation process in which the PRP injections transfer volume to enhance collagen and new blood vessel formation. The result is younger-looking skin.
The Procedure – What to Expect
PRP is not much different than getting blood drawn. In fact, Dr. Palladino will take blood from a vein in your arm, whereupon it will be processed in a centrifuge to collect and separate the protein rich plasma needed for the cosmetic procedure. It only takes a few minutes before the PRP is ready for application.
There are several methods upon which PRP may be used for facial cosmetic rejuvenation:
- A PRP facial is the least invasive type of procedure and has the quickest possible recovery time. First, the patient’s face will undergo light dermabrasion or micro-needling.
Then, the doctor will apply a topical PRP to stimulate collagen formation. The PRP facial procedure results in smoother skin and can be beneficial to those who suffer from acne scars.
- PRP injections are used in less dramatic cases of lost volume and helps to promote collagen production, while giving the patient’s face a younger appearance when use in combination with fat grafting.
- Replacing volume can also be done with fillers combined with PRP. The protein rich plasma is blended with fillers, such as Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane, Radiesse or your own fat.
- Patients who choose this option get the benefit of volume restoration, combined with collagen production. The mixture is stimulated by growth factors in a patient’s own blood.
- The most potent of all of the PRP rejuvenating techniques includes the use of PRP combined with fat grafting. Out of all of the aforementioned possibilities, only this combination offers the most powerful results. Patients who choose this procedure will benefit with:
- Long-lasting results, since the transferred fat stays in place permanently.
- Replacement of volume with “live” tissue from your own body.
- Stem cells are transferred from your own fat stores, so they are ready for creation of new cells.
- The PRP contains eight different growth factors to increase collagen production and rejuvenate skin.
Some patients need to have the PRP treatments done several times in order to meet the desired expectations and goals, although one session can be enough for some patients and will certainly yield a noticeable effect.
Most patients do experience swelling, but within a few weeks this goes away. Everyone is different, so the degree of swelling may vary, depending on which PRP technique is used, as well as which parts of the face the treatments are given. Healing varies, depending on every individual. What people most love about the PRP treatments is that they offer one of the most natural-looking solutions to facial rejuvenation. To the naked eye, they cannot be noticed. PRP applications are safe and can be done without the need for general anesthesia. For this reason, they are most always done as an outpatient service at Southwest Plastic Surgery in Texas.
Are There Risks Associated With PRP Treatments?
Unlike more complicated types of facial surgeries, the risks with protein rich plasma treatments are far less in comparison. Not only because no incisions are needed, but also because most patients do not need general anesthesia, which accounts for most of the risks involved in many types of plastic surgeries.
However, PRP requires meticulous talent, knowledge and trust in the service provider, because it is a very specific craft. Dr. Humberto Palladino has won numerous awards both nationally and regionally, and is a board certified doctor who was also voted as a Fellow in the American College of Surgeons, which is an honor only the best of the best doctors can achieve.
Very minor risks could be:
- Bumps or lumps in skin under injection points or reaction
- Skin imperfections
- Possibility of infection
- Bruises or swelling
- Temporary skin soreness or numbness
Risks are extremely rare. Dr. Palladino takes every precaution and is very thorough to make sure his patients are satisfied with the outcome.
As aforementioned, the techniques vary depending on every individual. It is best to come in for a consultation, so that Dr. Palladino can take a look at your face, skin and recommend the right PRP treatment for your circumstances and to achieve the outcome you desire. Based on the information he collects, you will be given a fair estimate accordingly.
Some factors include the surgeon’s and staff’s services, how many PRP treatments are necessary, time, and if any anesthesia is needed. A ballpark could put you in the range of $1,000 to $4,000 for a comprehensive PRP package.
If your face looks older than you like, or if flaws and early aging cause you problems in confidence, then you can get your face looking and feeling its best with PRP rejuvenation!
Learn More About Protein Rich Plasma
Bring back your radiant, healthy and younger face. Schedule a consultation or call 915-590-7900 for PRP Facial Rejuvenation!
10175 Gateway Blvd. West - Suite 210
El Paso, TX 79925
5925 Silver Springs Dr. Suite C
El Paso, TX 77912